Dementia and Behaviour (23923) - Index
Total Topic Time: 2 hours
Segment 1 Introduction (8:04 mins)
- What is dementia and behaviour?
- What causes difficult or unwanted behaviours
- What causes non-reversable dementia
- What the behaviour is telling you
- The effects of behaviour and how to help a person
Segment 2 Types of behaviour (12:14 mins)
- Types of dementia-related behaviour
- What causes wandering?
- How to manage wandering
- How to prevent wandering
Segment 3 Aggression (11:56 mins)
- Types of aggression
- Causes of aggression
- How to manage aggression
- Dealing with aggression
Segment 4 Rummaging and hoarding (7:22 mins)
- Why a person rummages and hoards
- What causes a person to rummage and hoard
- What can help a person
- How to manage rummaging and hoarding
Segment 5 Repetitive behaviour and vocalisation (10:13 mins)
- What is repetitive behaviour?
- What is vocalisation?
- What causes these behaviours?
- How to manage the behaviours
Segment 6 Catastrophic reactions and sundowning (10:04 mins)
- What are catastrophic reactions, the causes and how to manage them
- What is sundowning, the causes and how to manage it
Segment 7 Sexually inappropriate behaviour (4:58 mins)
- Why does sexually inappropriate behaviour occur?
- What causes sexually inappropriate behaviour?
- How to manage sexually inappropriate behaviour
Segment 8 Triggers for behaviour (7:22 mins)
- How changes in the brain affect behaviour
- Loss of choice
- The environment
- Sensory issues
Segment 9 Triggers for behaviour (cont.) (6:51 mins)
- Health and medications
- Self-esteem and dignity
- Service limitations
- Cultural factors
- Delivery of care
Segment 10 Steps for managing behaviour (13:10 mins)
- Defining the problem
- How to look for triggers
- What can make behaviour worse?
- What can make the behaviour better?
Segment 11 Strategies for change (13:38 mins)
- What is the PIECES acronym?
- How an Activity Plan can help
- How to avoid triggers
- How different strategies can help
Segment 12 How to use strategies for managing behaviour (11:23 mins)
- What you need to support a person
- Strategies for a positive response
- Using spoken language to good effect
- Showing you care through body language
- How to build positive relationships
- How to “be” with a person